Monday 22 August 2011

Trust

Only in a town this small.



And I'm not just talking about the trusting sign out the front of the local drive-through bottle shop. I'm talking about things that really matter. 

For example, my students can leave their bags in the quad all day without a single incident. They can leave sport supplies on the quad racks for weeks and no one will touch it. 

Class sizes are small, and everyone knows everyone.

And if they muck up, chances are their parents will have heard about it through the grapevine before I get the chance to contact them that evening. And they'll have already strung them up.

My point is, the small community here breeds just that - community. And I'm starting to really feel a part of this one. I'm desperate for these kids to succeed. I see them on the streets when I'm walking my dog. I buy groceries from them. I'm friends with their family members. 

Maybe this idea of community can work with education. Maybe we can have small groups working together with teachers, mentors, friends and family to create a holistic learning environment. 

Just a thought.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com